G4 Owners Club

G4 Roof Racks 2010

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic16709.aspx

By Safety Devices International Ltd - 19 Aug 2010

Hello!

I am the point of contact for roof racks at Safety Devices!

For any information on our current roof racks please do not hesitate to ask!

Kind regards

Elaine
By AntV8 - 19 Aug 2010

Hi Good to see you have joined the forum. I have pinned your topic in the public forum as this i sure will be a good source of information!

Ant

By camel_landy - 19 Aug 2010

I think what would be useful is if we could find out if you can supply spares for the older style roofracks?

e.g. The Disco II racks...

M
By Safety Devices International Ltd - 20 Aug 2010

Hi Ant

Thanks for pinning my message up, I've never used a forum before so I'm trying to get to grips with how it works!

I'm looking forward to more people getting in contact!

Thanks!

Elaine :)
By camel_landy - 20 Aug 2010

Safety Devices International Ltd (20/08/2010)
I'm looking forward to more people getting in contact!

Ahem [COUGH]...

M
By Safety Devices International Ltd - 23 Aug 2010

Hi M

We can supply fitting kits, floors and ladders for older roof racks and Discovery racks, please give us a call on 01638 560524 for further details.

We have had a lot of feedback from people, that they would like us to produce a roof rack for the Discovery. Taking this on board it is defiantly something we will be producing in the near future. Please keep an eye on our website for new products.

Kind regards

Elaine :)

Safety Devices
By camel_landy - 24 Aug 2010

Cheers Elaine,

I don't have a D2 anymore but I know that some people could do with the replacement clamps...

Regards,

M
By Safety Devices International Ltd - 1 Sep 2010

We can supply replacement clamps.
By martin bisby - 8 Sep 2010

what about the flooring for the 2003 disco 2, mine is sadly loosing the plot quicker than i can spare the time for

regards

martin

By Richie Astridge - 3 Oct 2010

Mine also!!!!!

I have put my foot through the board on the rack in a few places.

Any chance of a more "weatherproof" board? Was thinking of going down the line of chequer plate etc but would love to keep the beast original.

Rich

D2 Press Vehicle
By martin bisby - 3 Oct 2010

rich

hi, both ant and i have found two different suppliers of buffalo board, ant has a price from chiltern timber and is currently trying to set up a CNC cutting file, i am still awaiting the price of the board

regards

martin

By Richie Astridge - 6 Oct 2010

Martin

Thanks for the info. Thats great news. I'll be very interested if you manage to get it set up.

Many thanks again

Richie
By g4stu - 10 Mar 2011

I would like to send a big Thankyou to elaine and chris, who could'nt do enough for me when i needed some info, and parts for my rack.

Thanks

Stuart

By safety devices - 20 Apr 2011

I see there has been some comment on the price of the non-slip flooring for safety devices roof racks.

Yes they are more expensive than we would like but you cannot compare them with ply from your local hardware store. The SD floor is marine ply with a special rubberized non slip covering, cut and drilled to fit the rack and all cut parts painted to help prevent water ingress. We order them from a third party supplier (in bulk) and sell them on at cost - so you really couldn't get this product any cheaper than we can supply it to you.

Of course ordinary ply will be fine for a while but I would recommend you use some sort of protective sealant.

We have looked at poly (rubber composite) boarding but this is more expensive and expands with heat. It is very difficult to protect mesh from rusting.

Safety Devices
By kawasaki - 6 Jun 2011

hello,hope you can help, i am trying to locate roof rails (part no. cap500010)  for my 2004 td5 .Does anyone have a pair for sale or know of a supplier, thanks John.
By adesg4 - 6 Jun 2011

You have possibly tried these

http://www.shop4landrover.co.uk/product/Lockable_Crossbars_-_Tubular_Rails_CAP500010

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-2-Roof-Crossbars-CAP500010-/160547546877

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=83420

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/products/cap500010_discovery_2_roof_cross_bars.php

By Gazellio - 15 Jul 2011

Can a G4 Expedition Rack be modified (strengthened) to take a Roof Tent and are there any recommendations?
By MihaiB - 30 Oct 2011

Safety Devices International Ltd (19/08/2010)
Hello!

I am the point of contact for roof racks at Safety Devices!

For any information on our current roof racks please do not hesitate to ask!

Kind regards

Elaine

Hi!

Do you also manufacture roof racks for Freelander 2? I have the 2011 model, without any roof rails

Thanks!

Mihai
By Andy131 - 10 Dec 2011

Does anyone know if the sunroof can be used when the roof rack is fitted to the FL2?

Or can the roof rack be modified so that it can be used?

SWMBO is coming around to the fitting of spots on the roof, they would look a dogs dinner if I tried to fit them using the existing roof rails, so a genuine roof rack would seem the best option.  The stumbling block is "her" dog, whenever we stop and have to leave the dog in the car them the sunroof must be raised.  I don't need the buffalo board that forms the deck so this would not be fitted - unless removing it creates lots more wind noise.

Those who know us will know what I mean about Gill and her dog :Whistling:
By stu_007 - 11 Dec 2011

No you can't really use the sunroof as the glass fouls the bottom of it as it opens and slides up.
By davezrx - 11 Dec 2011

hi richie

contact adesg4

he currently has a source for these and might even currently have a spare one for sale

he might been out of country at moment with work ....best to pm him and await reply
By Andy131 - 11 Dec 2011

Cheers Stu

On to plan B - there must be a plan B, cos I'm way to stuborn to let someting as simple as a few bits of metal get in the way :)
By adesg4 - 11 Dec 2011

Hi Andy

LR do not list a full roofrack for the FL2 and I have only seen the 2 full racks as fitted on the 2 recce FL2's.

There were only 3 fully kitted FL2's, so finding a full rack may be quite difficult unless you already have one of course.
By Andy131 - 12 Dec 2011

Hi Adrian

Not got one yet, but they do come up from time to time, so it's just a waiting game -

I can wait as there are no serious expeditions planned for a couple of years, SWMBO has her sights set on a cruise next, so all the holiday savings are going to be wasted on an overgrown ferry.

Andy
By MihaiB - 12 Dec 2011

I still did not manage to understand if anyone is producing these roof-racks for Freelander 2. I saw a post on this forum earlier from the manufacturing company, but when I posted a reply, no-one answered. I also tried contacting the company directly, again no answer....

Does anyone at least have the roof-rack dimensions or drawings? If these were available, one could find a small shop to have a roof-rack custom made. Or we could manufacture them here in Romania and export them to UK or some other countries :)
By adesg4 - 12 Dec 2011

The Freelander 2 roof racks are no longer available from the original manufacturer. As far as I know there were only ever 4 made.
By MihaiB - 21 Feb 2012

Would it be possible to obtain a close-up picture or some sketches for a roof rack?

Does anybody have any feedback on how it was with respect to wind noise?

Thank you!
Mihai
By adesg4 - 1 Mar 2012

MihaiB (2/21/2012)
Would it be possible to obtain a close-up picture or some sketches for a roof rack?

Does anybody have any feedback on how it was with respect to wind noise?

Thank you!
Mihai
Which one.
There are approx 9 different ones.
They can be noisy with lights and plaques fitted, bib on RR + FL make a difference. Holes in floor on D110, RR, FL1 + 2 can create additional wind noise.
By Pip66 - 2 Mar 2012

I called into see Safety Devices the other day as they are only 5/6 miles away from me.

Had a long chat with a chap called Chris about making a batch of D2 racks. Which he seemed keen to do if they thought there

was enough interest in them. :blink:

I'm quite happy to liase with S/D, maybe do a group buy, even get some DISCOUNT ......

I've also posted this on another forum to hopefully create some interest.

So to start the list .

1) Pip66.
By stu_007 - 2 Mar 2012

Could you ask them if it was them that manufactured the front plaque mount; as I need one!
By BoBo - 12 Jan 2013

Does anyone know if SD are still producing the decking for the D2 Lowline roof Rack?

or would anyone know where I might purchase the decking or something similar?

Called SD and they where a bit vague about the decking for the D2 as they are no longer producing it.
By davezrx - 12 Jan 2013

hi bobo

contact adesg4

has he got a contact and brought a few sets ,i brought one ,and they a exact copys using the same baord as on g4 trucks

pm him best ,and wait as he does works outside of uk at times ,but does live in uk
By BoBo - 14 Jan 2013

Cheers Dave,

I'd already made contact with him reference the decking and he did get back to me, but has not responded to my reply.

Now I know why, will wait out.

again Cheers

BoBo
By adesg4 - 15 Jan 2013

Hi sorry for no reply as I am currently in the US for a couple of weeks. I will check when i get home.
Thanks
Ade
By Fredmick - 28 Apr 2013

Hi folks. I'm new here. Don't actually own a G4 but would like to one day. Anyway some will probably know by now but the lowline SD racks are now available with the floor. (as per G4) The one fitted to mine is actully wrong...due to there supplier of the floors cutting the wrong ones and I had travelled a fare way to collect it. From Pip66 who kindly collected and helped me fit my rack to my D2. SD have offered to exchange it at a later date if I wish but to be fair the difference is so small I may not bother.
By adesg4 - 28 Apr 2013

Hi Mick,
They appear to have made a few changes to the rack over original G4 ones. Floor now looks to be held on with P clips. My floors will only fit the original G4 racks.
Ade (sim)D2

Thats right Adrian. P-clips & U-clips in the middle. As I new to all this G4 stuff I went with what I was informed by Pip and Chris at SD. Even tho I haven't got a G4 motor I decided to go with the Lowline rack as it looks better and you just never know whats going to appear next ;)

By Pip66 - 28 Apr 2013

Evening you old rascal.

Phil.

Evenin young man. Good weekend? Ladder fitted today bud :)

Was trying to add a pic of our motors from last weekend but it wont let me for some reason.
By adesg4 - 1 May 2013

Hi Mick,

You should be able to add images by

1. picking the icon 1.

2. upload images.

3. browse.

4. select your pic. (I think it needs to be on your computer).

5. open.

6. add image.

Linking the image adds it as an attachment. Sorry if you have already tried this.

http://forum.g4ownersclub.com/uploads/Images/f3c4c4ab-1365-4a13-bd97-a96b.JPG
By Fredmick - 1 May 2013

http://forum.g4ownersclub.com/uploads/Images/04338613-84e6-4f6a-9293-1d4c.JPG
By Fredmick - 1 May 2013

Yep that worked bud. Thanks http://forum.g4ownersclub.com/uploads/Images/4f221d12-15b3-4a8e-9d65-6f2b.JPG
By adesg4 - 2 May 2013

Glad it worked ok Mick.
By yavze74 - 31 Oct 2013

hello I saw the pictures of the rack roof and it inspired me to built one for myself I couldn't find any specs for the roof could do help me send a sketch or deatils this will help me alot.

Evgeniy.
By Gr4eme - 11 Sep 2016

Hi,

Don't know if this thread is still live as it hasn't had a post in 3 years.
I'm looking for a floor for my 2003 FFRR roof rack, are you still supplying them or does anyone know where I can get one?

Cheers,

Graeme.
By Border26 - 11 Sep 2016

Jerome (verydisco) is the guy to ask, he had a floor reproduced a year or 2 back or im sure we can find some one that can reproduce and cut from marine ply when we have the dimensions.

Jon

By Gr4eme - 11 Sep 2016

Thanks Jon,

Could you or someone else who has a FFRR post some pictures of your roof rack floor in order to possibly have one made up locally please?

Edit.... Could someone please post the dimensions of the timber required (width, length & thickness).

Thanks,
Graeme.
By stu_007 - 11 Sep 2016

You could also try Safety Devices who made the 2003 Roof Racks.

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/products/marine-ply-flooring/
By Gr4eme - 11 Sep 2016

Thanks Stu,

According to their web site they no longer supply for RR, only defenders and disco's.
By stu_007 - 11 Sep 2016

They have started the racks again; always worth a call!!
By Gr4eme - 15 Sep 2016

Thanks Stu, I fired them an email, Still waiting for a reply.

Think marine ply is the way to go.

What fixings are used on your floor? I'm guessing some kind of U-bolt?
By stu_007 - 15 Sep 2016

If you're going to Peterborough they have a stand there so some face to face negotiations might be in order!
By Gr4eme - 15 Sep 2016

Unfortunately I can't make it to Peterborough, the beast isn't road legal yet :o(
By marco g4 - 15 Sep 2016

They use silver pipe clamps with a rubber lining on the 06/09 ffrr racks. They have similar silver ones on eBay with rubber lining.

Mark