G4 Owners Club

Discovery 3 V8 G4 Fuel consumption?

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic25109.aspx

By Slippery - 29 Dec 2013

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum , Presently a D3 2.7 V6 owner but hoping to buy a V8 G4 Discovery 3 , can anyone advise what to check for regarding the V8, Merry Christmas everyone and hoping soon to be an interacting G4 Member.
By Verydisco - 29 Dec 2013

Hi, I have Jon's twin brother, bar the LPG. It uses 18/19L per 100 km, so 13 to 12 mpg.

This is on mainly short suburbian runs, with the whole kit : roof rack, lights, MTR.

However I drive it quite mellow so if you drive like a madman, expect single digit figures.

Note, ours run the BMW 4.4L V8, while a D3 uses a Jag engine, but it is only marginaly better as far as performance.

Still, if you can afford it as an everyday drive, do it. If this is for a second vehicle, just do it you will not regret it!
By marco g4 - 29 Dec 2013

The jag v8 has about 40 hp more than the bmw 4.4 v8 engine and more torques, i have a d3 v8 06 event, does about 15-17 mpg on average. Thinking of selling it if its of interest to you its got all the kit 40k miles upgraded brembo brakes and stainless exhaust system full set of mtr tyres and 7 seats, with full lr service history. Runs on petrol no gas conversion as gas is for the oven in the kitchen. 

Mark 
By arw911 - 1 Jan 2014

I too have a 06  event car with a trusty Jag 4.4 V8. In 5000 miles I've averaged 16.6mpg, now the twist-
Off roading - real off road stuff mind - spain pyrenees, Grizedale to Scotch corner got 9mpg, On a run 20 is achievable, 18 mor like likely as the power is available.
Off roading don't expect much more than 150 miles per tank! The Spainsh trip companions had to stop once a day fro me.......
Best tank range achieved was 340 miles, before the sphincter pinched too much and had to put in 74 litres
I have found doing 70 is more eco than 60, because the auto box will drop to 5th with the slightest incline or head wind.
Did a tank on the local commute and 13-15 is all you can expect - slow and traffic.
Did a 220 mile trip north at one speed cruise nearly all the way (early morning) (average 60mph) and was did 16.5mpg, return trip (and before any smart alec, says its down hill in the way back!) got 19 at 70mph average.
there is a lot of drag with the roof rack and all the lighting appendages that makes for wind noise too.
All calcs done to brimming tank and odo mileage - (not the computer)
Onto the other stuff - well D3's are D3's, most problems and fixes are well documented, especially with the electrics, suspension and the diesel engine. The V8 is easy to live with, simple engine servicing and less complicated. V8 gets better disc brakes and the electronic locking rear diff too.
Do it you know its the right thing to do!

By rookhope - 3 Jan 2014

Hi Slippery, I too have an event 06 D3 4.4 V8 that's gas converted, its had the conversion for the last 70000 miles and to be honest runs really well. on a run on gas it returns approx. 13 miles to the gallon which equates to about 26 to the gallon in monetary terms as gas is about half the cost of unleaded where we are, I find the consumption goes down drastically when using cruise control as the car never seems to get into 6th gear and it seems to be up and down between 4th and 5th when hitting an incline as its like driving a brick in the wind, but with the on tap power you always have a smile on yer face and if you drive it like you stole it you don't half grin if not laugh, I would highly recommend the V8 and Marco's is certainly a good option

By Cerby49 - 31 Jan 2014

Sorry for the delay in this post.  The winter shut down you know! plus the wife couldn't work the new web site!!

We have a 55 plate D3 V8 Petrol event car.  Tis true that she's a little thirsty - perhaps 21mpg on a long run dropping to 14-15 around town (ours is not on MTR tyres but has all of the other kit on it).  
Its simple, the real key to getting the most out of these engines is your right foot.  If you want to make the most of the glorious noise in sport mode, and confuse the heck out of all of the little Euro boxes, then you will pay for it in fuel - I have recorded as little as 8.9mpg whilst having fun.  On the other hand, if you are reasonably light footed and prepared to stick to the speed limit then low 20's is easily achievable.  Be warned, due to the aerodynamics, or lack of them, 80mph on the autobahns does rather dent the fuel consumption!

By DavidSally - 2 Feb 2014

21 on a run in a V8 doesn't seem bad to me. My diesel Disco 08 only does 25 average, real mpg not cars computer. This doesn't vary much each fill up.
By Emon - 2 Feb 2014

Hi All,
Feel that I should put my 2 pennies worth in this interesting discussion even though I have the TDV6:
  • Drove down from Leeds to Sleaford on the A1/A17 late yesterday (Sat 1st Feb) as the windy weather really picked up and I was driving more or less headwind. Couldn't get the TDV6 to change up to 6th gear below 70mph'ish and average registered 24mpg having to drive at 70mph+ on the A1.
  • Tyres as well as roof-rack make quite a difference. With the factory standard D3 road tyres normally I get about 28mpg and with the MTRs about 26mpg (drive yesterday was with the road tyres).
  • I think the TDV6 is generally under-powered for such a heavy vehicle, so whereas the 300Tdi happily does 200k+ miles, we will need to see how the TDV6 performs longer term (any info on this?). LR's plan is better with the new 3L engine in the D4.
By ciompino - 4 Jul 2017

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I have not yet a disco g4. 

I am italian guy and I am wirting here because I would like to buy a 2006 disco v8 engine petrol and transform it to gas (LPG). 
I have read (from this website http://www.amrautos.co.uk/index.php/lpg-systems) that all v8 engines of D3 present problems with gas conversion.
My question is for your G4 owners... Do you have some problems with LPG? and How many km/miles did you run with or without problems?

Thank you for your kindly reply

By stu_007 - 6 Jul 2017

I think it's the same engine that is in the FFRR, i.e. the Jaguar 4.4 V8 and as always, there is a massive debate on converting to LPG. My FFRR was converted before I bought it and does run well, but like everything, needs to be maintained and serviced regularly. Unless you're doing mega miles I wouldn't bother, and keep the vehicle original; or why not import a 2008 D3 which is diesel?
By stu_007 - 6 Jul 2017

Although both UK sites, try searching on these;

www.disco3.co.uk

http://lpgforum.co.uk
By ciompino - 6 Jul 2017

I think so that is the same engine of FFRR but i don't understand why discovery should have problems with lpg and FFRR not... However I will check the jaguar 4.4 debate to take some information. Thank you for reply.
About diesel...My opinion is... If I take a big car, with big Fuel consuption, I prefer choose gasoline engine converted because I can save money compared to diesel. In Italy there are little difference of price between diesel and gasoline.