G4 Owners Club

Bar across roof rack

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic56820.aspx

By Dan the Man - 29 Mar 2016

I'm very proud & excited to have just bought a 2008 D3 G4 and am looking forward to many happy years with her.

It's day 5 of ownership and I've spotted a few things I want to get back to tip top condition....

Firstly, there's a roof bar across the front of the roof rack which is damaged (see photo below). Can anyone advise whether this is original kit and if so - where I might source a replacement?

Second, there's no orange CB aerial. Are they available on the market?

Third - one of the T-slot bolts & eye nuts holding the plates down onto the roof rack is missing. Again - any pointers on replacing it would be appreciated.

The rear ladder & front number plate mounts are starting to rust a little - so I'm thinking of getting them shot blasted & powder coated. Can anyone advise if the rear ladder is easy to remove?

Thanks in advance for any help given. Will post some pics of her once we get some sunshine again......

Dan
By yellodisco - 30 Mar 2016

Hi Dan , congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the orange side.
Can't answer your technical questions about roof rack parts, but I got my orange CB aerial from thunderpole see http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-antennas/thunderpole-orbitor.html.
Also, when the metal plate behind my front number plate started to rust, I replaced it with a black plastic panel, cut from the side of an old plastic box I had - has lasted a couple of years now, and is much lighter than the metal it replaced (every little weight saving helps!).
Look forward to seeing photos of your D3 G4 - where did you get it, and where in the country are you? Give us all the details!
Cheers, Alan
By Gazdiver - 30 Mar 2016

Hi Dan 

The roof rail is indeed std fit, and if you want one Ebay is your friend or you may get from your friendly LR dealer but i think you will have to buy a pair

The T bolts are like rocking horse doo doo the eye part is easy to get loads of boat chandlers have them, may be worth getting a normal bolt and grinding the head to fit in the T track as a temp fix or i suspect a fairly perminant one

The rear ladder can be removed to do so you will need to remove the lower part of plastic trim on upper tail gate, now it is only held on by plastic panel fasters the sort that should pop off/out with some sharp tugs, mine wasnt too bad just go slowly do it on a warm day or when car has been inside for a while as the plastic could be brittle if its very cold. You will need good finger nails or some trim removal pliers, i would also get a few spares of the trim panel fasters as they do tend to snap rather than POP .
Once you have that off you will see bolts holding te rear tailgate handle and number plate light 4 i think off the top of my head some are under the rubber seal around the tailgate, they are just threaded studs into plastic so go slowly plenty of WD40 if they havnt been off before. as its a whole new rear handle assembly if you break one. The ladder is held on by 2 lower bolts with Rivnuts into the rear tailgate which you will see once the Rear handle is off, again plenty of WD and you should be ok the top of the ladder is held on by what is in effect double sided tape, what i did with mine was on reassembly copper slip everything with a thread and i bought some wide number plate tape on a roll to fix the top.

It might be worth replacing the boot handle mechanism while you are at it as they are prone to go and you have to take it all apart if it does its the bit under the rubber that goes wrong ..

Hope that helps 

By Gazdiver - 30 Mar 2016

infact on anther forum i belong to roof bars £80 so be quick if you want some 
By Dan the Man - 31 Mar 2016

Thanks Guys - some useful tips in there. As you suggest Gary, I've sourced eye nuts but the bolts are more elusive. I think the Thule T-Track adaptors have the right thread though so may try them.
Useful tip regarding the black plastic box - I'll take a look behind the registration plate this weekend, weather permitting.
I went down to Hayling Island on Friday to collect it from Ian & Sandy - who contacted me via this forum after I placed a post earlier in the year. Then drove it home back up to Glasgow - and I've not seen any other G4's around here so will certainly stand out.

Thanks for the info on the rear ladder - it looks like sound advice. Looked on the other forum & roofbars I saw are gone but I have picked up a pair of prospered tree & rock sliders which should look good as they're black.

One dilemma I have - as far as I can tell, she's on the original oil pump which appears to be a known weakness. Timing belts were replaced last year - but not the oil pump. Tax & MOT due in coming weeks. Do I just bite the bullet & shell out for an updated oil pump as cash is now running out rapidly....?
By Hillbilly - 31 Mar 2016

Hi Dan,
Like I said in our PM, pleased to know you and hope we meet up sometime. Also, as I mentioned, you will get great help and advice from the Club.

Tony - a previous owner of D3G4 BD08 VRX Fleet No. 27

D3G4 BT08 BSO Fleet No.36.
By adesg4 - 2 Apr 2016

Dan the Man (3/29/2016)

1 - roof bar across the front of the roof rack which is damaged (see photo below). Can anyone advise whether this is original kit and if so - where I might source a replacement?

2 - there's no orange CB aerial. Are they available on the market?

3 - one of the T-slot bolts & eye nuts holding the plates down onto the roof rack is missing. Again - any pointers on replacing it would be appreciated.

4 - rear ladder & front number plate mounts are starting to rust a little - so I'm thinking of getting them shot blasted & powder coated. Can anyone advise if the rear ladder is easy to remove?

Hello And Welcome Dan.

In answer to your queries.
1 - Standard fit on 2006 and 2009 D3 and RRS. I cannot currently find the part number for this item. I am fairly sure I put a post on the forum at some point a few years ago with it.
2 - Aerials for the 2009 event VHF radios were black. Orange CB aerials are available though from Thunderpole as mentioned by Alan.

3 - I have some of the T slot bolts and possibly some T slot nuts.
4 - Rear ladder relatively easy to remove using Gary's info. Better doing the ladder as quickly as possible as they can rot out in a very short space of time once moisture gets under the powder coating.

When getting the powder coating done get the parts shot blasted, zinc phosphated then powder coated. Most powder coat companies should be able to offer zinc phosphating. This will increase durability. Any pitting in the part from rusting currently will need to be addressed as this will show through the powder coating.

By Dan the Man - 2 Apr 2016

Thanks Adrian,
Just ordered the Thunderpole & received the eye nuts.
I'm fairly confident that the Thule T-Track adaptors will match the 8mm threated bolts but may get in touch if I'm wrong.
Sound advice regarding the powder coating. There's a place near where I work so I'll call in & ask them if they can do the zinc phosphating you recommend.
Got some prospeed black rock & tree sliders today. I know they're not original equipment but they don't require any cutting or drilling and I want the added protection. Being black - I expect them to look right too.
Now off to take a look at the steering wheel adjustment which isn't working - maybe I'll get lucky & it's just the fuse.....
By DurtyDisco - 2 Apr 2016

HI Dan, 
The rock and tree sliders have saved me a few times I can tell you!!

Replaced my side steps with these as the steps lasted just under 5 minutes off road.....

By Dan the Man - 2 Apr 2016

I do like those tree sliders - and the wheels too, though I'm guessing the wheels are 20" which limits the off road tyres you can fit. Please tell me I'm completely wrong about that and you can get such cool wheels in 19"......
Regarding the steering column adjustment, I've removed the switch & ordered a replacement which I hope solves the problem.
If not, I'll probably live with it as I don't fancy replacing the steering column.....
By Gazdiver - 2 Apr 2016

Hope the switch cures it only other thing would be the motor which wont be cheap 
good luck 

By DurtyDisco - 17 Apr 2016

The Rock/Tree sliders are good as they fend off trees, but also go underneath & protect the Sills......

Ignore the wheels they were 22" Range Rover Stormers that were on for about 5 days before I came to my senses & put them back in eBay!!

Should really buy a 2nd set of 19/20" with road biased tyres on to save my MTR's......