G4 Owners Club

Warn winch

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic58042.aspx

By urhunden - 18 Apr 2016

I have the Scandinavian D3, G4, TDV6, MY 08.

Somewhat modified with an ARB winch bumper in the front.

Had some connecting problems and cannot find the solution with the original Warn 9.5XP winch..

The remote is with a toggle switch in and out. It is the original.
The plug from the remote have 6 pins but just 5 wires connected, White, red, black, green and brown.
The socket has 6 wires connected. An additional blue.
From the solenoids there are 4 thin wires. Red, black green and brown.
From the winch ? there are 2 thicker wires. White and blue.

My problem now is that I reconnect with a new Warn socket with 6 connectors but just 5 wires. White, red, black, green and brown.
Connect them to the same colors from the solenoids and winch.
Disregard the blue wire.

And it does not work.

So what is wrong.
The solenoids work. By connecting power directly to them the winch works both in and out.
By Farmer Chalk - 18 Apr 2016

The wiring for the winches is bizarre....the toggle switch you refer to, if it's the switch mounted under the front grill, that is not an in /out switch but the on /off switch. I have wired a small LED there when powered up to remind me its on....

Can't promise anything but when I changed my Warn plug in trigger remote lead to a remote control type the colour codes were not as you expect.... I.e.red to red etc...

If you look at this thread it may help you...

http://www.g4ownersclub.com/forum/Topic40374.aspx
By DurtyDisco - 18 Apr 2016

There is also another "safety" solenoid underneath the main battery tray on the right hand side of the car as you look from the front that controls power from the battery to the winch solenoid.....
Have you factored this one into your diagnosis?
I recently converted my winch to wireless and it was a devil getting it working!
best regards
Andi

By Dan the Man - 18 Apr 2016

Inspired by your discussion on the winch - I thought I'd go out & try mine, having only just bought my G4......
Sadly, I just got a clicking sound from the solenoid 😢

So - it's looking like I'll be taking it off & stripping it down this weekend.
Looks like there's plenty of videos on you tube showing how this is done, but I wondered if anyone here had undertaken this task yet ...??

Managed to get out off road at the weekend and play - so here's a few pictures that I promised too....
By DurtyDisco - 18 Apr 2016

Looks great Dan......

Can I suggest s solenoid upgrade as well while you are at it!
By Dan the Man - 23 Apr 2016

OK - after nearly 3 hrs trying to access the solenoid I'm on the verge of giving up.
I've managed to test the winch with jump leads & proved it works fine - so the problem must lie with the solenoid.
However - this seems almost impossible to get at.
I can't get the sump guard off because the bolts are too tight and really don't want to embark on taking the whole front bumper off because this looks a big job.
Is anyone has done this before can you post some help please???

Thanks.
By Emon - 23 Apr 2016

If you are sure it is the solenoids, then access is via the bumper, which is not as difficult as you think. I would not take the guard off as most certainly a bolt will shear. Take off the black front wheel arches, this will expose two 'hidden' screws on either side of the bumper holding it to the body. The rest is straight forward and you will be able to work it out. I have got some photos of the job but damned if I can find them. I may have put a post here in the past, if anyone knows where that post is .... Good luck.
By Dan the Man - 23 Apr 2016

Thanks Emon,
I did look up bumper removal on YouTube but it suggested there were screws underneath, which I assumed would have been covered by the sump guard. As you say it's straight forward I'll have another go tomorrow.
I did get the winch removed and a holding bolt sheared during that process, so thanks for saving me from sheared bolts on the sump guard....
The post you mentioned may be in the members section, which I'm waiting for my membership to come through before I can access.
I'll let you know how "round two" goes.
On a positive note, after dispairing at trying to get to the solenoid, I fitted a pair of Prospeed Rock & tree sliders which were straight forward & look great....
Dan.
By Farmer Chalk - 23 Apr 2016

I might be mistaken but I thought the solenoids were under the battery in the bottom of the tray??
By urhunden - 24 Apr 2016

Had to buy a new Warn original socket with 5 wires attached.
After som measuring I found out how to get the wires together,
Wires from socket                            Wires from winch
brown                                               brown
green                                                green
red                                                    white
black                                                 red
white                                                 black
no wire, empty hole in socket           blue

The colors of the wires  in the remote correspond to the colors on the wires from the winch. But the wires from the new socket has been switched.
Strange and stupid.