G4 Owners Club

Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic64207.aspx

By Tang00 - 15 Aug 2016

Hello,
Ref: Disco 3 G4 - 08
A bit of a shock today..... the G4 had to be taken into the garage last week, as we had black smoke and acceleration problems, with the message 'Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available' on the console, this was while the wife was driving back from the beach with the kids.
This morning  my wife had a call from the garage .... asking her to sit down!!  She knew there was bad news coming.... They've had a look at the car and they can honestly say they has never ever seen anything like this in a Land Rover before!! And yes it's expensive..... 
Basically they changed an EGR valve in May this year. That is ok but the other one has failed. What has happened is that this has caused a build up of carbon which has got very hot and it has burst holes through and melted the two plastic cam covers and the throttle body cover. If my wife had driven a longer distance it might have caught fire. The garage say that they can repair and replace the parts and test. However, they can't say for sure that it won't happen again. He said its so rare. 
So we need two new cam covers, the EGR valve and not sure about the throttle cover. The cam covers are £1k each so he said we are looking at £2500-£2800 repair bill.  

I would be interested to hear if anyone has heard of or experienced this before?

Cheers

Andy 
By cds - 16 Aug 2016

Sorry to hear about your issues, I'd be getting a 2nd opinion to be sure it's what the issue is. Might be worth speaking to Disco Mikey of MMP Land Rover in Dundee. I've had a dead spot on my D3 G4 for 2 years with nobody being able to diagnose and or fix.....the torque convertor has also recently been juddering. Mike was confident that a new TC would fix both issues, and it did!
By camelrock - 16 Aug 2016

I would surest you post this on the disco3 website if you haven't already and see what feedback you get. There are plenty of EGR's going faulty but never heard of this one.. Would be more inclined to say that the induction system has an excessive amount of oil in it which has ignited, takes a lot of heat for carbon to ignite.
From the symptoms you describe would be checking oil level, turbo or split inter cooler pipes. Obviously you'll have to repair the rocker covers etc first.
By Tang00 - 16 Aug 2016

Hello,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, I am away from home at present so my wife is having to deal with the garage, the car was taken to the garage by tow truck and arranging to get second opinions is not so easy for her.  I did some research on the disco3 website and it seems although the problem is uncommon, some owners have had similar problems and similar bills.  I guess we were just unlucky.  Disco Mickey was responding to some of the queries.  
As I mentioned earlier, the nearside EGR was replaced in May, so maybe I should have replaced the other one at that time too.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!
In the meantime, I will wait for the final bill and hope that the G4 will be trouble free for the remainder of the year.  We love the car and there is nothing out there at the moment that we would want to replace it with.

Andy
By camelrock - 17 Aug 2016

I think I would just get them blanked off. I know this put the EML on but I believe there is now software out there to stop this happening. Bell autos or 5 alive both Sponcers on the D3 site would be the people to talk too. Good luck.
By cds - 17 Aug 2016

Yep, mine are blanked off, no EML as Bodsy put a BAS EGR Delete map on the car for me. Did it as preventative maintenance to prevent trouble on trips overseas