G4 Owners Club

Roof tents for defender 110

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic69253.aspx

By Eamonn - 5 Mar 2017

Hi guys,

Does the club have any affiliation with a roof tent manufacturer? I am heading on an expedition next year and am thinking that the best way to camp is with roof tents? Ideally need a 4 man, however with the roof rack on a G4, do I need to get it modified? I am also looking to get it with an awning too.

Idealy want to keep G4 as standard as possible.

Anyone any ideas as there are so many roof tents on the market?

Thanks for any ideas,.
By DurtyDisco - 7 Mar 2017

No manufacturer affiliations that I am aware of.....

Mark Crook, one of our members had a roof tent and awning on his 110, will try and find out who made it and if he had to modify the rack for you....

We used to have a Hannibal 1.6 Delux rooftent and 2.4mtr awning on our non G4 D1 with a safety devices highlander roofrack and had to modify it.

Must be honest we sold them both and bought an OzTent RV5 as it was so much easier to set up camp, loads more space and if we wanted to move we didn't have to pack everything up.......
By davezrx - 9 Mar 2017

howling moon or hannibal roof tents will not fit inside the width of any g4 roofrack , 
it was chris and kims 110 , before mark , what they did is bolt it with an extra set of bars between to top rails of the roofrack 
hope his info is useful for you 

By Cerby49 - 10 Mar 2017

Hi,
We have successfully fitted a 1.6m Hannibal delux roof tent to our 110 G4 Defender.  We use this with the tourer awning to provide another room.  The Hannibal roof tent takes literally 5 minutes to fold out and set up but the awning probably takes 15-20 minutes to fit due to its size.  I was surprised that the Defender doesn’t roll too much with all the weight on the roof as the D3 used to wallow a bit when fully loaded!

Almost all roof tents fold out, with the exception of the pop-up type.  They therefore cannot sit inside the rails of the roof rack as they would foul on the rails when folded out.

Fitting the roof tent to the Defender was therefore a bit more challenging that fitting it to the D3 as the roof tent has to sit on top of the highest of the two rails, which run around the edge of the roof rack.  

I used a piece of 18mm thick phenolic plywood, the waterproof stuff used for the floors of trailers, to form a flat base for the roof tent.  This base is about 25mm bigger all round than the base of the folded up roof tent.  As our tent is a 1.6m tent, this plywood base actually sits on top of the rear and side rails of the roof tent and is therefore supported sufficiently on three sides.
The plywood base is secured to the top rail of the roof rack using 25mm diameter conduit saddles.  These saddles are fitted every 200mm or so around the three supported sides and are fixed from below into the plywood using nuts and bolts.
The plywood roof tent base is therefore secure and the roof tent simply bolts to this plywood base using four 12mm round headed bolts.

Even though this is a bit of a faff, I think that roof tents are warmer, very warm in fact, and better at keeping out 8 legged and slithery critters than normal ground tents.  They also look fantastic with a G4 vehicle and get lots of interest when used.

Enjoy!

Mark
By Eamonn - 11 Mar 2017

Cheer gents..I will do some homework

By Dave Walker - 26 Mar 2017

Morning,

I've got a Maggiolina Safari on the roof of my 110, if you look on their website they have all sorts of attachments.
By Eamonn - 26 Mar 2017

Thanks for the info