G4 Owners Club

D4 experiences ?

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic69588.aspx

By Fatboynotsothin - 13 Apr 2017

Anybody own a D4 ? What's it like ? Considering one and taking all the advice and comments on board. Thanks in advance
By curryman - 14 Apr 2017

Hi
I bought a 65 reg discovery 4 a year ago now done 19000, the vehicle is the sd 3.0 diesel. it tow our caravan effortlessly  done 2 long trips skiing in Europe with it loaded up and cruises beautifully on the motorways, the engine is very quiet my other half says she can't here it!
Problems I have noted over last year- when i bought it the rear window heater elements had delaminated from the glass so this was replaced under warranty. Adblue warning message came on saying the quality of the fluid was not correct - I took this to the dealers and they refilled the Adblue reservoir this corrected the fault - they may have re calibrated the software for this as I note on the web some people had similar errors - has worked fine for a year.  the engine uses no oil between services, gearbox is very smooth. The model I have is an SEtech so most mod cons without the added cost of the HSE.  Rear spare wheel has a plastic disc cover to reduce dirt on the spare and I think the securing mechanism is more resistant to theft than the old ones.  Load space is great as one would expect. I fitted the tower which has  rigid bars as well as the quick fit hitch and this has been good, there were recalls on the old removable hitches but I believe this has been rectified by Landrover - just be careful if you think of buying a used one from the online auction site as this could be old spec.  I am very pleased with this vehicle and sits on the drive next to my G4 discovery 2 V8, the D4 certainly does excellent mPG and meets the Euro 6 spec so hopefully one of the cleaner diesels on the road at a time of gloom and doom on diesels!
hope this helps, if you have any other thoughts I can try to answer them
best wishes
David Curry
By mole - 15 Apr 2017

I have a 2012 D4 HSE. Great car. Go for the 8 speed gearbox (the one with the rotary knob).
As I am in a position at the moment where I might have to down-size my "fleet" of vehicles, and although I love my  G4 D2 V8 ex Australia (BT52 OVX) I am struggling to sell the D4 and keep the D2. If anyone is interested in OVX please pm me.
David, which Australian vehicle do you have? 
By Fatboynotsothin - 15 Apr 2017

Tell me more about your D4 ? I may be interested
By mole - 15 Apr 2017

No, sorry for the confusion. I am not selling the D4 as it is a great car, I am selling the D2.
I have had the D4 from new. Now done 22K in it. Only issue was a badly fitted dash but after a couple of trips back to dealers all is now well. Took it to Les Comes with the G4 Club and put it through it's paces on the off-road course, coped with everything. As the weather was bad some of the time I inflated my double mattress in the back and slept in it - plenty of room. Just make sure the oil is checked regularly - no dipstick and a slow procedure to check properly.
Make sure you have a RLD spare wheel protector (from Ray on Disco4.co.uk) as the cables are easy to cut if not fitted with one.
All the best in your search.
By Fatboynotsothin - 15 Apr 2017

My apologies, tell more about your D2 ?
By Farmer Chalk - 17 Apr 2017

Brilliant car...ran an HSE Luxury for 3 years and 60,000 miles.. was supremely capable and practical car.... if you own a D3 they are nothing alike... other than the outer body... the later engine transforms the vehicle and the drivetrain is fantastic....
The only criticism I had between the D3 and D4 was that the D3 had more cubby holes and storage facilities within the cabin than the D4.

Now own a RRS 494 which is a stunning machine but no where near as user friendly or practical as a D4.