G4 Owners Club

Winch mounting

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic75973.aspx

By Groe43 - 4 Feb 2018

Hi guys, need some advise. Just bought a discovery 2 g4 edition. I'm looking into fitting a winch but retaining the factory bumper. Any ideas if there is a tray on the market to do this so it looks like the real thing.
By davezrx - 4 Feb 2018

hi mate , the best way , for this is to buy the concealed winch tray , no change to the bumper then , also stops winch being stolen

this is what i've had on my D2 G4 EDITION 
use it many a time with no problems , also you then don't have to buy a WARN WINCH , which are very expensive 
i've got a T-MAX 9.5 on mine only cost £260 

i'm in leicestershire , where are you ? it takes all day to fit with winch tray  / winch  , happy to give advice , have fitted 5 of these to disco 2  
By Groe43 - 4 Feb 2018

Thanks for the info, I'm based in south Yorkshire. I'll have a look for a concealed tray then and give that a go
By Groe43 - 4 Feb 2018

Any idea what is used on genuine g4s where the winch sits out front but looks like the original bumper is still on
By davezrx - 4 Feb 2018

ok , you will need to completely take to front end off , bumper / grill / lights ,
youll need to cut the bumper underneath if you use wire on winch , not cut so much if you use rope , mainly where the grill is under your bumper , 
fit winch first then offer bumper up  you will see were to cut 

you need red and black mains cable extensions , the controller has to come off the top off the winch there not enough space
make sure you get the adjustable winch tray  NOT the solid one  can be an absolute bast@@@d to fit , as space very tight 

but you can bolt it to your slam panel , WINCH CONTROLLER 

if you buy wireless controllers with winch , it says having to cut you grill to mount plug in controller    

if you get real stuck im happy for you to come to me to help you fit it , ive had lads come from leeds / london / essex before
just because using my time and tools all day
   i would like to  ask for £50 fitting fee 
By davezrx - 4 Feb 2018

P.S , THE EXTERNAL winch tray is as rare has .....hens teeth , so to speak , 
we have had members with event G4 trucks struggle to find them 

go on front page under the event guide theres part listing for each g4 truck it might be on there 

otherwise wait till someone else responds to this post 
jon roberts is a good person to contact 
By Groe43 - 4 Feb 2018

Great Stuff, thanks for the help. I have a discreet winch on my old disco that I was going to leave on to sell but I might remove it and use that. Will have a think about it
By DurtyDisco - 5 Feb 2018

I’d refurbish the one on your existing truck if you plan to fit one to the D2 G4 Edition....if it will fit.

Save you money on buying one, and you can see how it fits and wires up as you take it off.....

Being an Edition Truck you can fit anything you want.

Plenty of help available on the forum.
By Pip66 - 9 Feb 2018

As Dave has said, the original winch mounts  are very hard to come by. I've only seen 3 or 4 in the last dozen or so years I've owned a D2.
They were also made to fit both Pre and face lift cars. They are different and are NOT interchangeable  !!!

Regards Phil.