G4 Owners Club

Disco 2 G4 write off value

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic76388.aspx

By Jevo - 13 Jun 2018

It’s a sad day but after 13 years of ownership my showroom spec Tangiers orange Discovery 2 G4 has been written off by insurance after a rear end shunt... was an awesome car...

However, as it wasn’t my fault the other parties insurance are paying out... trouble is they will only pay to what Glass’ guide says is book value and we all know they are worth more. They won’t budge though...

Has anyone else experienced this and managed to get a true world fair value that would let me by a like for like replacement, if I could ever find one?

Thoughts?
By Border26 - 13 Jun 2018

Is the D2 one of the original event vehicles or just an edition?

Keeping a regular eye on prices they do have quite a range...
If its a genuine Event vehicle the you would have to spend £10k to replace it as there are a couple out there on the market at the mo.
Like wise if its an Edition there are a couple of yellow and silver ones out there around the £6-7k price.

Having had a professional valuation done on my rangie and 110 earlier this year I was very surprised at the values being original vehicles, the also get a base price ignoring the history and provenance of the vehicle on the basis that it would cost £x to buy the/any vehicle in the first then £y to respray and £z to rebuild all the kit. while this does not give you an original car just a look a like G-Flaw it gave them a base to start at then take in to account the history of the vehicle and give a value for the insurance for just such an instance you have now and an almost irreplaceable vehicle.

Jon
By Jevo - 13 Jun 2018

Hi Jon

Thanks for reply... it’s an edition one in Tangiers orange so worth less than an event truck but the book value is way less what it costs to replace...

Just wondering how/if people have challenged in this situation and how.

Cheers

I have not seen any other situation like this myself in my time in the club. It is a difficult one with only 200 units being made to start with and that number being split between the 4 colours.... how many orange were made will be the next question...? I actually dont know the exact number but would have thought that it would be 25-35%.

If i was in your situation i would now be going back to your insurer with examples of similar vehicles to give some idea what it will cost to replace and get them to push the 3rd party... after all its their problem!
In the current situation there is only a Yellow and a Silver one in the market place (see the links below) which wont help get an exact price but the orange is more desirable so should fetch a little more or get you a bit more... Hopefully! The yellow one has just dropped £1000 in the last few days as I guess the owner needs it gone. I believe the yellow ones are less than 20% of the units produced. Only an original LR build book will confirm though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-2-G4-EDITION/142722523852?hash=item213aece2cc:g:2FMAAOSwYHxWLgto

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-G4-Special-Edition/253681591706?hash=item3b1099e59a:g:rWYAAOSw6VNa-NET

Jon

These pics of the original brochure may help with the non standard equipment that was standard on the G4 over the base model 

By Jevo - 13 Jun 2018

Thanks Jon...

Situation is worse as it’s not my insurance company dealing with it... it’s all through the 3rd party...

Needless to say I am now seeking legal advice as a book value is just that and doesn’t account for the rarity and real world...

Brochure pics will certainly help... I did have the brochure somewhere but can’t place hands on it at mo...

Thanks again
By Fredmick - 16 Jun 2018

As it wasn't you fault I think you can insist on it being repaired.....worth pushing for IMO. 

I always have mine on agreed valuation TBH...usually costs about 15quid on top of the premium but worth it I reckon.
By Jevo - 16 Jun 2018

Sadly it’s not a claim through my insurance... all being dealt with by the 3rd parties insurance...

I will go back and push for it to be repaired but I suspect they won’t budge... I’m consideting buying it back rather than lettting it be crushed...