G4 Owners Club

G4 L322 Range Rover 2003 Roof Rack and Ladder wanted or any 2003 G4 kit.

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic76845.aspx

By spgmcb - 9 Jan 2019

G4 L322 Range Rover 2003 Roof Rack and Ladder wanted or any 2003 G4 kit.
Mnay thanks
By spgmcb - 9 Jan 2019

PS Aware of the RR Roof Rack already posted but that is a later rack and at 950 apperas  quite high, or is it.

By Border26 - 9 Jan 2019

When Land Rover originally sold similar racks from the accessories catalogue they were £2500+ and I doubt they sold many.

In the early days the only racks were the event racks and they do not come up for sale very often so we are talking about 20-30 racks.
The 06's were similar numbers and then add the actual land rover racks to that which are very similar and went in to the 2005 catalogue  we could be a few thousand.
Ive seen racks on eBay go for as little as £400 but they dont come up often. They are likely to be like busses, non for ages and 2 come along right after you bite the bullet and buy one....just the way it goes.

Ladders are also the same in terms they are different , but they dont ever come up for sale. There is a guy on eBay doing a knock off version of the 03 ladder, its close but not built with the same struts off the car to be an exact match though the bolt holes match apparently .
I purchased mine from America and a company called voyager racks which is an identical copy to the 03 event one.

https://voyagerracks.com/land-rover-range-rover-mk3-l322-rear-access-ladder

Jon
By spgmcb - 10 Jan 2019

Border26 - 9 Jan 2019
When Land Rover originally sold similar racks from the accessories catalogue they were £2500+ and I doubt they sold many.

In the early days the only racks were the event racks and they do not come up for sale very often so we are talking about 20-30 racks.
The 06's were similar numbers and then add the actual land rover racks to that which are very similar and went in to the 2005 catalogue  we could be a few thousand.
Ive seen racks on eBay go for as little as £400 but they dont come up often. They are likely to be like busses, non for ages and 2 come along right after you bite the bullet and buy one....just the way it goes.

Ladders are also the same in terms they are different , but they dont ever come up for sale. There is a guy on eBay doing a knock off version of the 03 ladder, its close but not built with the same struts off the car to be an exact match though the bolt holes match apparently .
I purchased mine from America and a company called voyager racks which is an identical copy to the 03 event one.

Jon

Jon,
Many thanks for thats,I did come accross voyager so will have a look at it as a alternative.
Thanks again
By Border26 - 10 Jan 2019

spgmcb - 9 Jan 2019
Border26 - 9 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon,
Many thanks for thats,I did come accross voyager so will have a look at it as a alternative.
Thanks again

The racks are nothing like the original just in case your wondering... Stick to the ladders there and be aware there will be import duty this side of the water. Its about 4 weeks turn around from order to deliver as well. 
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 9 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 9 Jan 2019
Border26 - 9 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon,
Thanks again

The racks are nothing like the original just in case your wondering... Stick to the ladders there and be aware there will be import duty this side of the water. Its about 4 weeks turn around from order to deliver as well. 

Jon, am I right in saying the rack that has been posted on here from e bay for 850 is a landvrover accessory part number 500070PMA,, the first image id g4 but the actual rack in later image isnt a g4. I've been offered a later land rover rack with a ladder for 1400, it has rectangles running down the side to clip on to it and lloks similare to rack on l322 during 2005 event, no plastic surround  just a metal wind shield at the front. Will this be a land rover rack similar to the event racks, is that about  right for the  price. Thanks
By Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

If this is the ad your referring to then yes..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-RANGE-ROVER-L322-safari-Roof-Rack/292646548495?hash=item442317f40f:g:6jkAAOSwj~5bUD5F&redirect=mobile

The event photo is also a completely different rack to the ones shown...
The event is an 03 that does not have the rear GPS protector built in to the rack as the 03'gps is in the rear spoiler, the rack also comes down to a point on the rear corners for a sleeker look.

Jon
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-RANGE-ROVER-L322-safari-Roof-Rack/292646548495?hash=item442317f40f:g:6jkAAOSwj~5bUD5F&redirect=mobile

The event is an 03 that does not have the rear GPS protector built in to the rack as the 03'gps is in the rear spoiler, the rack also comes down to a point on the rear corners for a sleeker look.

Jon

Jon, 

Thanks, that's what I thought, didn't notice the cut out for the GPS, if my IT skills are up to it I'll try and post a link to the rack offered to me for 1400, the link should show the line of rectangle lashing points, does this mean its a post 2005 and a better spec than the eBay accessary rack  you linkec to or just later? Been told Safety Devices no longer make a rack for 2002 l322, so the I'm guessing the chances of find one now is remote, does this post 2005 sound a good alternative and is the asking price not too high, thanks

https://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Northamptonshire/Towcester/NN12/Article-Archive/News-Archive/121967-Famous-Local-Photographer-Selling-Unique-Piece-of-History

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Thanks, that's what I thought, didn't notice the cut out for the GPS, if my IT skills are up to it I'll try and post a link to the rack offered to me for 1400, the link should show the line of rectangle lashing points, does this mean its a post 2005 and a better spec than the eBay accessary rack  you linkec to or just later? Been told Safety Devices no longer make a rack for 2002 l322, so the I'm guessing the chances of find one now is remote, does this post 2005 sound a good alternative and is the asking price not too high, thanks

https://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Northamptonshire/Towcester/NN12/Article-Archive/News-Archive/121967-Famous-Local-Photographer-Selling-Unique-Piece-of-History

The car in the post was nick Dimblebys car, yes the land rover photographer and posted up in 2009. Pretty sure that's sold now. 
The price is around the right price for a complete car and the prices seem to be holding if not creeping up because you just can't find them for sale.
I've a fixed valuation on mine for that price because I know you won't find another and mine is 3 years older.

The defender is the same if nit higher and climbing quicker.

Jon
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

The car in the post was nick Dimblebys car, yes the land rover photographer and posted up in 2009. Pretty sure that's sold now. 
The price is around the right price for a complete car and the prices seem to be holding if not creeping up because you just can't find them for sale.
I've a fixed valuation on mine for that price because I know you won't find another and mine is 3 years older.

Jon

Apologies Jon, those images are the closest I could find to the roof rack being offered to me, not the whole car,  just the rack anf ladder for 1400, it's for a 2002, thanks

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

Apologies Jon, those images are the closest I could find to the roof rack being offered to me, not the whole car,  just the rack anf ladder for 1400, it's for a 2002, thanks

Sorry. Yes if it has the handle type point built in to the side of the rack it's a 2006 rack built by Breed....
So we're dealing with 3 types of rack now
03 event 06 event and LR parts.
Rack and ladder is an OK price, you won't find another set right now.. What is the condition of the rack? The do tend to rust from the inside out and the first you will know is when the powder coat blisters and pops.
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

Sorry. Yes if it has the handle type point built in to the side of the rack it's a 2006 rack built by Breed....
Rack and ladder is an OK price, you won't find another set right now.. What is the condition of the rack? The do tend to rust from the inside out and the first you will know is when the powder coat blisters and pops.

Thats very helpful, the powder coat at the back is starting to flake off, the strip at the front  below the rack has lost most of its paint, shwing metal, ladder looks ok. Maybe the accessories version may be better. Was Breed any good, not as good as safety devices. Whilst I have got you, do you have any links to images of the inside of the l322 on the 2003 challenge and did they have blue or charcoal seat cover? Thanks again.

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

Thats very helpful, the powder coat at the back is starting to flake off, the strip at the front  below the rack has lost most of its paint, shwing metal, ladder looks ok. Maybe the accessories version may be better. Was Breed any good, not as good as safety devices. Whilst I have got you, do you have any links to images of the inside of the l322 on the 2003 challenge and did they have blue or charcoal seat cover? Thanks again.

I personally prefer the breed rack and have one on my rangie as thats all I could get when I started my rebuild. I prefer it for a number of things, 1st is that the tie down points are much better, the GPS protector bars are ideal for me to mount a small solar panel to keep my leasure battery topped up when the car is sat doing nothing for weeks at a time and finally the rise on the side rails is slightly higher so offers a slightly better load protection.

Safety devices racks were the original but cost was silly and one of the reasons they won't re build them.. The cost is down to the curve of the roof and that when they rolled the racks to get the shape to fit the roof, they threw away 50% of the racks that were built.

For Breed... They went bust back in 09/10 though there is a completely in Leighton Buzzard that owns all the rights to every thing breed did as it was started by one of the breed employees. I've tried contacting them on a few occasions without much success. I will over the next few months be making a visit there to see them face to face as we have a few members after some racks for other models and we know they have FL2 racks there..  Now that is rocking horse poo as they only ever made 2 that were fitted to G4's.

By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

I personally prefer the breed rack and have one on my rangie as thats all I could get when I started my rebuild. I prefer it for a number of things, 1st is that the tie down points are much better, the GPS protector bars are ideal for me to mount a small solar panel to keep my leasure battery topped up when the car is sat doing nothing for weeks at a time and finally the rise on the side rails is slightly higher so offers a slightly better load protection.

Safety devices racks were the original but cost was silly and one of the reasons they won't re build them.. The cost is down to the curve of the roof and that when they rolled the racks to get the shape to fit the roof, they threw away 50% of the racks that were built.

For Breed... They went bust back in 09/10 though there is a completely in Leighton Buzzard that owns all the rights to every thing breed did as it was started by one of the breed employees. I've tried contacting them on a few occasions without much success. I will over the next few months be making a visit there to see them face to face as we have a few members after some racks for other models and we know they have FL2 racks there..  Now that is rocking horse poo as they only ever made 2 that were fitted to G4's.

Jon, thanks again, nothing is simple with a land rovers :-)
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

It that Mountney based in Leighton Buzzard ?

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

No, can't remember the name with out going and digging through some business cars but they are not easy to find online either as I had a look a while back trying to remember the name. They did come on to the stand at a show a few years back which is why I have their card and after a few left messages and emails with no response I've left it to find 5 minutes and go see them.
By spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019

Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

No, can't remember the name with out going and digging through some business cars but they are not easy to find online either as I had a look a while back trying to remember the name. They did come on to the stand at a show a few years back which is why I have their card and after a few left messages and emails with no response I've left it to find 5 minutes and go see 

Sounds like a one man operation that may be able to make one off racks. Do you recall which colour seat cover were used and how the rear and front aux lights were activated, toggle switch next to the radio?

spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019
spgmcb - 13 Jan 2019
Border26 - 13 Jan 2019

Jon

Jon, 

Jon

No, can't remember the name with out going and digging through some business cars but they are not easy to find online either as I had a look a while back trying to remember the name. They did come on to the stand at a show a few years back which is why I have their card and after a few left messages and emails with no response I've left it to find 5 minutes and go see 

Sounds like a one man operation that may be able to make one off racks. Do you recall which colour seat cover were used and how the rear and front aux lights were activated, toggle switch next to the radio?

The leather shod be grey and the lights are warn and all have small switch modules wuth them. Each pair has a modual, so in 03 the Sydney cars that did not have winches and had A bars had 3 sets of lights, the ones in the outback with winches had 2 sets of lights. All 06's had 2 sets of lights.
The spots in question are Warn Sdb-160