G4 Owners Club

LPG or not LPG? BT52 OUY 2003 G4 Range Rover

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic77031.aspx

By paullewis - 10 Mar 2019

Hi, First time posting. For the last 14 years I've owned a petrol 2003 G4 Range Rover reg BT52OUY. Still drives beautifully and is driven by me every week. Am thinking of possibly converting it to run on LPG as well a petrol?  Does anyone think this is a good or bad idea?  Would this undermine the vehicle integrity / resale value? 
By Border26 - 10 Mar 2019

When I purchased OUW it already had LPG on which was a factor for buying. And as it turns out the M62 BMW engine that is in the early Rangies takes the LPG very well as you could have purchased that engine direct from BMW with LPG on it from birth as an option... While some hate LPG and what it does there are many plus's and negatives to it.
The M62 has the harder valves and all the rest so does not require the lube system that later models do. It dose have a higher octaine so can rev higher but also as a negative burn hotter which is also the main deterrent for most.
I would recommend the prinns system as the software does tie in with the onboard ecu and has factory backup from LR  and BMW .

Touch wood in my 6 years of ownership if not had a single issue with the LPG system, and as long as its installed by a professional installer and serviced when required you should not have an issue and gain many cheaper running miles.
I find the best advantage is that on longer runs or when heading to Europe I gain an extra 200 miles of range by having the extra LPG tank on top of the regular petrol.

Jon
By paullewis - 10 Mar 2019

Border26 - 10 Mar 2019
When I purchased OUW it already had LPG on which was a factor for buying. And as it turns out the M62 BMW engine that is in the early Rangies takes the LPG very well as you could have purchased that engine direct from BMW with LPG on it from birth as an option... While some hate LPG and what it does there are many plus's and negatives to it.
The M62 has the harder valves and all the rest so does not require the lube system that later models do. It dose have a higher octaine so can rev higher but also as a negative burn hotter which is also the main deterrent for most.
I would recommend the prinns system as the software does tie in with the onboard ecu and has factory backup from LR  and BMW .

Touch wood in my 6 years of ownership if not had a single issue with the LPG system, and as long as its installed by a professional installer and serviced when required you should not have an issue and gain many cheaper running miles.
I find the best advantage is that on longer runs or when heading to Europe I gain an extra 200 miles of range by having the extra LPG tank on top of the regular petrol.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Great to hear from you. Thank you very much for taking the time to post such an informative reply. Really useful to hear of your experience with LPG. I'm getting a lot more confident about the idea.

Thanks - Paul ​​​​​
By Verydisco - 23 Mar 2019

Hello,

This is a rare L322, I have never seen pics of BT52OUY, at least not with its UK reg.

Now about LPG, bBesides the fact you are completly modifying the Range Rover, does it make economical sense to add this so late in its life? 

By paullewis - 25 Mar 2019

paullewis - 10 Mar 2019

Border26 - 10 Mar 2019

Jon

Hi Jon,

Great to hear from you. Thank you very much for taking the time to post such an informative reply. Really useful to hear of your experience with LPG. I'm getting a lot more confident about the idea.

Thanks - Paul ​​​​​

paullewis - 10 Mar 2019

Border26 - 10 Mar 2019

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks - Paul ​​​​​
Verydisco - 22 Mar 2019
Hello,

This is a rare L322, I have never seen pics of BT52OUY, at least not with its UK reg.

Now about LPG, bBesides the fact you are completly modifying the Range Rover, does it make economical sense to add this so late in its life? 

Hi Thanks for replying to my post - a photo of my car BT52 OUY - yes it's a bit of a dilemma converting the ​car to LPG but have owned it now for 14 years and just wondering how to be able to run it further and more often more cost effectively. 
Cheers Paul​
By Radeco - 25 Mar 2019

On an NI plate ?

Radeco - 25 Mar 2019
On an NI plate ?

Hi Keith - No the number plate isn't NI just a private plate which I put on the car when I bought it in 2005. The car itself was registered in 2002 and took part (as I understand it) in the 2003 G4. Something I didn't know anything about when I bought it. 

Cheers Paul ​​​