G4 Owners Club

Modifying a G4

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic77387.aspx

By Tarkers - 1 Oct 2019

Hi all, new here. Considering the purchase of a 2008 D3 G4 edition primarily for use on longer overland trips. I have previously owned Disco 2s and 3s (all petrol LHD) and am happy with the vehicle in terms of comfort and performance off road. I was not looking for a G4 version however I have found one that looks like the hard work has been done already. First planned trip is going through Morocco and down into Western Sahara/Mauritania in March next year for 3 weeks and second is a month exploring northern Spain in the summer.

I would be looking at a few additions such as a long range fuel tank (replaces spare wheel) and a conversion to a rear mounted tyre carrier and would probably remove the third row seats to reduce weight and increase storage. Would probably change the roof rack to accommodate a tent as well however I would also be interested in keeping "the look" as I enjoy the heritage of the vehicles.

I know I would be my vehicle and I can do what I want, but just wanted to test opinions and views as to how a modified version would be seen by the club in general. It seems that a lot of G4 editions have been built back close to the specification by owners, and looking at auto trader, the three for sale are all different in the final fit and finish.

The possible purchase I am looking at already has the majority of the mechanical upgrades and routine changes that need to be made already so saves considerable time and effort and whilst costing more than buying standard and upgrading, does negate the need to hunt around for a vehicle with the rear diff lock which is itself a challenge.
By DurtyDisco - 1 Oct 2019

Tarkers - 1 Oct 2019
Hi all, new here. Considering the purchase of a 2008 D3 G4 edition primarily for use on longer overland trips. I have previously owned Disco 2s and 3s (all petrol LHD) and am happy with the vehicle in terms of comfort and performance off road. I was not looking for a G4 version however I have found one that looks like the hard work has been done already. First planned trip is going through Morocco and down into Western Sahara/Mauritania in March next year for 3 weeks and second is a month exploring northern Spain in the summer.

I would be looking at a few additions such as a long range fuel tank (replaces spare wheel) and a conversion to a rear mounted tyre carrier and would probably remove the third row seats to reduce weight and increase storage. Would probably change the roof rack to accommodate a tent as well however I would also be interested in keeping "the look" as I enjoy the heritage of the vehicles.

I know I would be my vehicle and I can do what I want, but just wanted to test opinions and views as to how a modified version would be seen by the club in general. It seems that a lot of G4 editions have been built back close to the specification by owners, and looking at auto trader, the three for sale are all different in the final fit and finish.

The possible purchase I am looking at already has the majority of the mechanical upgrades and routine changes that need to be made already so saves considerable time and effort and whilst costing more than buying standard and upgrading, does negate the need to hunt around for a vehicle with the rear diff lock which is itself a challenge.

Hi
As far as we know there are no 2008 G4 "Editions" in existence, if its a 2008 UK Spec vehicle it would more likely have been one prepared in the factory for the challenge in 2009 that was cancelled.
If you can provide the registration and/or the VIN we can verify if this is a G4 Challenge vehicle or a copy (G-Flaw)
That being said, there are a number of members who have enhanced their vehicles to suit their over-landing needs in the manner you have discussed, I am sure one of them will be along to share their insights, and thoughts.(@LandyAndy)
A 2008D3G4 is a good base vehicle as they come out of the factory in HSE Spec with locking rear diff, underbody protection, RAI, Winch and roof rack
There is a 2008D3G4 for sale by one of our members at the moment that has had a lot of work done to it to get it up to a very high specification including the usual items such as front arms, compressor and gearbox flush etc (@WindyMiller)
By Tarkers - 1 Oct 2019

Hi Andi - yep rumbled me to the one I am looking at! 
By Secretary - 3 Oct 2019

Tarkers - 1 Oct 2019
Hi Andi - yep rumbled me to the one I am looking at! 

Would be a good choice if you can agree a suitable compensation package..... :-)