G4 Owners Club

TDV6 Engine failure help

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic77671.aspx

By Wolf - 12 Aug 2020

Having had no warning, BT08BTE has suffered the crankshaft bearing failure.
So far I have been advised to go to NWS in Shropshire for a rebuild costing £6k including new turbo, oil cooler and transport to the garage. At the moment turnaround is 30 days.
Does anyone have any contacts for a high quality warranted repair to compare cost and options?

Thankyou
Luke

BT08BTE
Northants
By nick paxton - 19 Aug 2020

Wolf - 12 Aug 2020
So far I have been advised to go to NWS in Shropshire for a rebuild costing £6k including new turbo, oil cooler and transport to the garage. At the moment turnaround is 30 days.
Does anyone have any contacts for a high quality warranted repair to compare cost and options?

Thankyou
Luke

BT08BTE
Northants

By nick paxton - 19 Aug 2020

nick paxton - 19 Aug 2020
Wolf - 12 Aug 2020

Thankyou
Luke

BT08BTE
Northants

Try Oval autos done a few for my customers
By Wolf - 19 Aug 2020

Thankyou Nick. I was initially told to use NWS for a recon unit but then advised to speak to Oval and Alltrack 4x4.
Oval no longer build 2.7 TDV6 due to the costs verses value of the Discovery 3. Both companies suggested a LR crate recon unit.
This is a significant investment and at the moment supply is not good.
By Scotty - 27 Oct 2020

Hi Luke
What did you do about this in the end? Have you got it sorted? My son’s D4 just had crank failure so any advice helpful. I’m just about to by a G4 D3 so feeling wobbly now!
Thanks Pete
By Wolf - 27 Oct 2020

Scotty - 27 Oct 2020
Hi LukeWhat did you do about this in the end? Have you got it sorted? My son’s D4 just had crank failure so any advice helpful. I’m just about to by a G4 D3 so feeling wobbly now!Thanks Pete

Hello Scotty
I do not want to put you off as the bearing failure is a lottery but to say this has been difficult and expensive is an understatement. Basically there are 2 options for 2.7 TDV6, Ignoring all companies offering to do it for £3k. A rebuild of around £6k from a reasonable  company that uses non JLR parts and has had some poor reviews or a crate recon from JLR. At the moment there are 4 engines in the dealer network. One is mine but getting it is proving to be a problem. JLR staff are still not back to work and the 2.7 is not a priority. My G4 is now sat at Oval until at least Christmas before it has workshop time. The cost v value of normal D3 means good places like Oval no longer do 2.7 rebuilds. D4 TDV6 and SDV6 engines are different and they still rebuild those based on what is damaged. 
By Scotty - 27 Oct 2020

Wolf thanks that’s really helpful, but sorry to hear you’re having to go through this.
How many miles had BTE done? It seems they go around 80k but that may be a myth, although my son’s has done almost spot on that!
Pete
By Wolf - 27 Oct 2020

Scotty - 27 Oct 2020
Wolf thanks that’s really helpful, but sorry to hear you’re having to go through this.How many miles had BTE done? It seems they go around 80k but that may be a myth, although my son’s has done almost spot on that!Pete

It was at 103k with no warning. The problem seems to be accepted as part of the Landrover experience. There have been some success with Landrover paying for part of the bill in cases where you have FSH or a warranty. But the fight can be long and difficult looking at some of the posts online.
By Secretary - 12 Nov 2020

Hi Luke,
I had to have a new engine in my 2008 TDV6 due to the service company missing a hose after they upgraded the oild pum and did the big belt service - Long story I wont bore you with....
In the end after lots of wrangling and arguing with them they put in a new Engine from Ivor Searle in Ely Cambs....with my ancillaries I think it was around £6k for the engine and fitting.
I would definitely get in touch with LR Customer services to co-erce them into contributing to the bill!
There are some really good contacts and similar experiences on the Disco3 Forum as well
Hope you get it sorted quickly.