G4 Owners Club

Help Hella roof rack install Range Rover Sport

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic77953.aspx

By cassianorios - 6 Oct 2021

Hi!
I have a Range Rover Sport (L320). I installed a G4 roof rack and Hella xenon auxiliary headlamps. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire and install. Could someone help me with information on the best place to install the wiring?
Thanks a lot!!!!
By DurtyDisco - 2 Nov 2021

If they are HID lights the ballasts are usually bolted to the rack, the electrical feed wire is then routed down the passenger side windscreen trim into the engine bay to your batter via a relay.

Most people (not in the UK) then have to e roof lights either wired to the main beam, or if in the UK they need to be wired into a separate dedicated switch so they don’t come on with the main beam as they are for “off-road” use only….

Hope that helps.
By cassianorios - 3 Nov 2021

DurtyDisco - 2 Nov 2021
If they are HID lights the ballasts are usually bolted to the rack, the electrical feed wire is then routed down the passenger side windscreen trim into the engine bay to your batter via a relay.Most people (not in the UK) then have to e roof lights either wired to the main beam, or if in the UK they need to be wired into a separate dedicated switch so they don’t come on with the main beam as they are for “off-road” use only….Hope that helps.

Andi,
Yes, each auxiliary light has its ballasts. So can I attach each ballast to each auxiliary headlamp bracket? Is it okay to leave them exposed to rain, sun, mud...etc? Or is it better to put them all in one waterproof box?
You are helping me a lot! I don't want to do an installation and have problems later. Any help from experienced people is extremely valuable.

Thanks a lot!!!
By Joncorry - 3 Nov 2021

I have HID lamps and ballasts on my D3, I’ll take a picture of how they are mounted and post it up to see if that helps.
By Joncorry - 3 Nov 2021

This is the underside of my D3 rack. The ballasts are simply screwed to the underside and not encased. Possibly they should be encased but at the same time that may cause heat build up. I’m guessing these have been there since 2008 when it was built and still work so maybe they are robust enough?
By DurtyDisco - 3 Nov 2021

As Jon Corry said, on the 08 cars they are bolted to the underside of the rack, so exposed to weather generally, though protected a little by being under the cover of the rack…
By cassianorios - 3 Nov 2021

You guys help me a lot!!!

Thanks!!!!