G4 Owners Club

Authentication of a G4 by its VIN

https://forum.g4ownersclub.com/Topic78332.aspx

By Irish4x4 - 15 Apr 2023

Dear All,

I am new to this group and not yet a full member but hopefully soon.

I wanted to ask your collective advice. Is it possible to authenticate if a Discovery 2 is a original G4 by its VIN number,

I don’t know if it was used in the challenge, was a G4 car sold direct to market or possibly a counterfeit of sorts. Any way to identify the providence would be of great help.

The number is SALLTGM884A831589. It is a left hand drive, Td5 manual gearbox.

Kind Regards
By Irish4x4 - 16 Apr 2023

Irish4x4 - 15 Apr 2023
Dear All,I am new to this group and not yet a full member but hopefully soon.I wanted to ask your collective advice. Is it possible to authenticate if a Discovery 2 is a original G4 by its VIN number,I don’t know if it was used in the challenge, was a G4 car sold direct to market or possibly a counterfeit of sorts. Any way to identify the providence would be of great help.The number is SALLTGM884A831589. It is a left hand drive, Td5 manual gearbox.Kind Regards

Hello again,

I would really appreciate if someone in this forum could help me. Several people have pointed me to this group to seek assistance in identifying and authenticating my G4.

Many thanks

By Radeco - 16 Apr 2023

It is the right colour - possibly an Edition - not event car.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/SALLTGM884A831589
By Stevejames - 16 Apr 2023

They won't reply to you or help in any way unless you pay, I found this when asking about g4 cars for sale, they have a private what's app group that the chosen few communicate on and this is a dead forum. 
They advertise links to cars for sale on their Facebook page, I've been told as too old for Facebook, but won't help on hear.

Steve

Radeco - 16 Apr 2023
It is the right colour - possibly an Edition - not event car.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/SALLTGM884A831589

Thank you very much for your response, I do appreciate it.

I have already looked it up on Vindecoderz and the colour and spec matches. I have seen so much discussion regarding standard Discos being dressed as G4s I wanted to see if there was a definitive way to identify if it was a G4 Event or Edition car I don't really mind.

Kind Regards

Stevejames - 16 Apr 2023
They won't reply to you or help in any way unless you pay, I found this when asking about g4 cars for sale, they have a private what's app group that the chosen few communicate on and this is a dead forum. 
They advertise links to cars for sale on their Facebook page, I've been told as too old for Facebook, but won't help on hear.

Steve

Steve,

I did get a kind response from Keith above. Thank you for your feedback. I will look again at the FB page to see if there is a definitive way to identify if the car is an original. I will also try a Land Rover dealership here in Malmö Sweden.

Kind Regards

Ciaran
By 10spline - 16 Apr 2023

Its unlikely to be an event car, as they were all V8.

10spline - 16 Apr 2023

Thanks for your response. I have been conducting a lot of research and understood that it was probably not an event car. Were Td5s used as support vehicles? I do believe it is an Edition car but just wanted to see if there was a way to confirm this.

Kind regards
By Gazdiver - 19 Apr 2023

Irish4x4 - 16 Apr 2023
10spline - 16 Apr 2023

Thanks for your response. I have been conducting a lot of research and understood that it was probably not an event car. Were Td5s used as support vehicles? I do believe it is an Edition car but just wanted to see if there was a way to confirm this.

Kind regards

As far as i know any support vehicles used would be the same spec as the team cars, so they would be Petrol variants..

By Irish4x4 - 19 Apr 2023

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.

I have seen posts from individuals with G4 Td5s stating they were support cars at certain stages of the challenge. Hence my confusion.

Regards

Ciaran
By AntV8 - 20 Apr 2023

Hi Ciaran

Any D2's that are orange would have been V8's used on the challenge in any of the 4 stages. So it sounds to me that this could be an LE that was produced as a special vehicle to celebrate the challenge.

Also just to note that event vehicles are a 2002 build as well.

Regards, Ant
By Irish4x4 - 20 Apr 2023

AntV8 - 20 Apr 2023

Hi Ciaran

Any D2's that are orange would have been V8's used on the challenge in any of the 4 stages. So it sounds to me that this could be an LE that was produced as a special vehicle to celebrate the challenge.

Also just to note that event vehicles are a 2002 build as well.

Regards, Ant

Ant,

Thanks for the information. Helpful to know these things in the search for a new vehicle.

Kind regards

Ciaran
By DurtyDisco - 8 May 2023

Hi

All D2 support vehicles were V8’s. No TD5 D2’s were used as support vehicles, only 110’s

TD5 D2’s were G4 Limited Editions used to promote the 2003 event.

By Joncorry - 9 May 2023

There are a couple of D2 Event cars for sale, both V8 petrol and are advertised on facebook. @Mattg has a superb example for sale and is asking £12500. 
There are quite a few other event vehicles for sale on social media or ebay too, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery 3.